Wellbeing and concordance
The wellbeing and concordance category has been sponsored by Smith & Nephew
- Documentary series focuses on prosthetic face surgery
A new documentary TV series, featuring the Maxillofacial Prosthetic Department at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, UK, focuses on facial prosthetics and their role in bettering the lives of patients suffering facial injuries, illness or birth defects.
- Free prosthesis trial for Paralympic-inspired amputees
Amputees who express an interest in taking up sport after watching the Paralympic Games will have the opportunity to trial a new prosthetic knee specifically developed for participating in athletics.
- Clinicians want increased wound care education worldwide
An online survey, taken by clinicians from 24 different countries, shows that there is a need for extended research and education in wound care management internationally.
- NPWT system minimises healing time in community-based settings
The PICO™ negative pressure wound therapy (NPWT) system by Smith & Nephew has been shown to decrease wound healing time, while improving patients’ wellbeing in a community-based setting.
- Custom leg art for amputees developed
A company in California, US, is offering custom coverings shaped to fit the contours of a prosthetic limb, which can be designed by the amputee.
- Wound care checklist helps roll out electronic health records in the US
A recent article has highlighted how hospitals in the US can smoothly roll out the newly approved electronic health record (EHR) system.
- Social status affects wound healing in baboons
A recent study has found that being of a high-ranking social status improves wound healing in male baboons.
- ‘Home away from home’ built for wounded soldiers
A new purpose-built facility in Birmingham, UK, will provide wounded soldiers and their visitors with a ‘home away from home’ during the soldier’s hospital stay.
- Free online guest lecture on wellbeing
Delegates can register to watch the guest lecture on 15 May 2012 at 06.00AM, 12.30PM and 18.30PM GMT. This will be broadcast in English wih subtitles in GERMAN, ITALIAN and SPANISH.